In honor of Finn turning a year old a couple days ago, I decided to finish and post my birthing story…better late than never!
May 29
Today is the day I bring a baby into the world. I woke up around
2:15 to feeling like I was peeing my pants. And it just kept coming. After
laying there for a while and debating whether to wake Landon up or not, I
finally felt it leaking through and nudged him. "I think my water just
broke." He just looked at me. "Really?" He went and got me some
towels, then I decided it was better if I just went and sat on the toilet,
since it was not stopping. As I sat there, I was still trying to make reality
of the situation. I didn't think my water would break. And I was hoping to make
it to Sally's wedding stuff Friday and Saturday (today is Wednesday). Danielle
(my awesome midwife) said she didn't think I'd make it to my due date. And my
birthing time wouldn't be that long. We still have to see about that part.
After sitting on the toilet for 20 min I got up, called Danielle, and put a pad
on then climbed back in bed. She told me it could take anywhere up to 24 hrs
for pressure waves to happen. I turned on my pregnancy affirmations to settle
me down. When I laid down, the leakage just wouldn't stop. I finally felt it go
through my pad an was feeling slight cramping. And my stomach was growling. So
I got up and sat on the toilet some more. I then listened to birthing affirmations.
When my leaking had slowed, I put on my deepening track because it always puts
me out, and settled in to the recliner. It got me really relaxed and so close!
But no sleep. It was 5 by then. And I was still hungry. So I gave up and went
to eat an orange and a piece of toast. Starting to get pressure waves in my
back. They feel like cramps, just all around the pelvis and strong in the two
back pelvic joints. I then laid back down in bed. I really wanted to sleep, but
it's just not happening. And some of those pressure waves come on pretty
strong. So I started writing this. Now it's 6:30. Fun day ahead! I get to see
my baby boy!!!
After I finished writing this I didn't wake Landon up till 7:30
but I should have woke him up at 6:30!
We still had to set up the birthing pool and I wanted to change the
sheets on our bed. Landon decided to
make me a big breakfast—we were anticipating a long day ahead of us and I
needed my energy! I tried to change the
sheets on the bed but at that point any physical exertion seemed to cause
another contraction. I had to kneel down
on the ground a couple times and eventually gave up on the sheets.
I told Landon he had better work on the birthing pool because
these were coming on strong. I needed to
get in the shower. Hot water is a
birthing lady’s best friend! It felt so
good, but didn’t quite relieve the pressure I was feeling in my lower
back/pelvic joints. After a while I lay
down in the tub and had to start focusing on every contraction. I tried to still think of them as pressure
waves (lingo from my Hypnobabies class), but contractions seems more natural
typing to that’s what I’ll say. I
desperately tried to apply all the things I learned in Hypnobabies but these
contractions were taking me by surprise and I wasn’t handling them as composed
as I’d hoped to…ha! The most effective
thing for me to focus on was breathing out the words “peace” & “relax” in
between each contraction to allow my body to recover. Deep, slow breathing. I desperately wanted Landon by my side, just
to be with me but I could here him scrambling around outside the bathroom. I would yell for him on occasion and he would
stay for a minute but leave again.
I want to clarify that I was not as prepared as I should have
been for this birth. For those skeptical
of birthing at home, all of this may sound a little crazy, uncomfortable, and
hectic (it’s going to get more hectic very soon!) Most of the chaos was my procrastination
manifesting itself over and over. I
thought he might come early but wasn’t completely prepared for all the
details. I hadn’t asked my mom to come
and be there during the whole process, hadn’t arranged for anyone to take
pictures, still hadn’t told Danielle to come, and I definitely hadn’t thought
things would escalate this quickly! For
that reason I let Landon sleep in (in hindsight I realize I should have been
MUCH more selfish. I was the one having
the baby and the one that needed extra pampering, right?? Next time…)
Well, things had become quite intense in the tub. I was making all sorts of interesting groans
and loud noises. Landon called my mom
and Danielle. I could not even think
straight at this point. He asked me if
she should come now. She lives about an
hour away in Perry. I desperately wanted
him to just talk to her and make that decision and don’t make me think or
speak! She heard me groaning through the
phone and thought, “Uh oh.” She thought
I was already in the pushing stage. She
left as soon as she could. They later
told me about them driving in the median in downtown Logan to pass cars,
doubling the speed limit in some places…I love my birthing team.
My mom showed up…what a huge relief, I was so grateful! I REALLY wanted to get in the birthing pool
and kept asking Landon about it…unfortunately getting a new water heater a week
ago still didn’t prevent me from running out all the hot water. So they were heating up water on the
stove. Before that, the hose that runs
from the water heater to the pool was hooked up to the wrong place and somehow
got dirty water in the pool. So they had
to take the pool outside and hose it out.
All this while I’m groaning in the bathtub, wondering what the heck was
taking them so long and why no one was in there supporting me??
They finally let me in the pool.
It wasn’t warm. I was
annoyed. I tried to absorb every hot pot
of water they would dump in. Still, the
weight off my body from being in the water was a VERY welcome relief. And squatting…that was the only way to
go. Good thing I have good form from
lifting weights in trackJ The pain in
my back was something crazy intense. I
couldn’t get any relief from it. The
techniques suggested in class like Landon applying pressure on my hips was
excruciating…it felt like it doubled the pain.
Breathing was still crucial in between contractions. It helped me relax and prepare for the next
one.
Danielle and Amuri (her birth assistant) showed up around
9:00. I was so, so, so happy! She had warned Landon that he might have to
catch the baby if she didn’t get there.
That would have been interesting.
These two were just what I needed. Amuri pampered me as much as she could,
getting cool rags to place on my forehead, helping with pots warming on the
stove. Danielle’s peaceful voice
affirming that I was doing everything just the way I was supposed to gave me
that confidence boost I needed. Before
that I had no idea what stage I was at, how close I was, if I was pushing…she
told me to listen to my body and I was so relieved just to have her tell me that. Landon was great in reminding me to breath
and relax through all the contractions.
He wasn’t all about comforting and encouraging me (I really think he
viewed this as just another intense 400m on the track for me). Still, I needed him just to be by my side,
hold my hand through contractions, and remind me to breath. He was great for that.
Danielle wanted to check me, just to make sure I was as far
along as I sounded. She really had no
idea what to expect! When she said,
“Yeah, Tiera, he’s right there!” I was
like, whaaaat?? I was hoping, but not
expecting that. Trouble was, he had been
“right there” for a while and I wasn’t making any progress. I had to really get serious about this
pushing…like I wasn’t already!
Eventually Danielle told me if I didn’t make any progress soon, I’d have
to get out on the bed and see if she could manipulate him a little bit. Welp, that was all the motivation I needed to
make some progress. I was NOT getting
out of this tub and lying on my back on a bed.
To me, that sounded as bad as grabbing a handful of knives and stabbing
them in my back. I don’t know how I ever
could have delivered in a hospital bed…serious.
I HAD to squat.
So a little bit of manipulation of my hips and different
squatting position with the help of Amuri got this little guy a little bit
closer. I could feel him! Literally.
I put my hand down and felt his head up inside me. I was doing it. That was my little boy--he was so close! Danielle made me change positions so I was
kind of sitting with my arms draped over the side. At this point, pushing comes as a welcome
relief. I don’t know how to explain it
other than the contractions change so you have an incredible desire to push
instead of a powerful tightening feeling.
The only problem is that ring of fire.
Danielle told me again to listen to my body, gradually pushing and
stretching everything out. I gave some
good pushes for a while and his head finally came! RELIEF.
Over my whole body.
Danielle had
me wait while she checked his head out…still fully submersed in the water. She was checking out his head and paused,
looking up. “Asynclitic,” she told Amuri
(she was waiting to take notes). I
didn’t find out till he was in my arms that this means his head was tilted
towards his shoulder in the birth canal, which makes it harder to fit
through. That explains why he took so
long and I wasn’t making any progress!
Because he came through in this position, his cone head was on the front
right side instead of the back of his head.
I believe that, in a way, this was a blessing for us. If he had been the right way, I probably
would have had him before Danielle got there.
However, never did I feel like Finn or I had anything to worry
about. I knew my body was doing what it
was supposed to and that everything was going to be fine.
Pushing out his body was relatively easy. And then he was there! I had relief, gratitude, satisfaction, love,
awe…all of these things swept over me in that moment as she placed him
immediately on my chest. He seemed so
content and peaceful. After a while he
opened his eyes, and ten minutes later he started nursing on his own. This, to me, was a miracle. How do babies have that natural
instinct? I was amazed. It’s all an affirmation to me that we were
created by a powerful and loving Father in Heaven. It was so peaceful laying there, gazing down
at my sweet boy (he looked a little like Quasimodo to be honest, with his
abnormal head).
To me, giving birth was such an empowering experience. I feel blessed and grateful to be a woman and
know that God created me for this purpose.
My body was created so I could give birth! Was it easy? No. But so worth it. I was able to take in every feeling, every
emotion of the birth process on my own terms according to what felt right to
Landon and I. In the peace of my own
home. For me, that is what I
needed. And now I have a very cute baby
that loves being in the water.
Incredibly impressive mrs. Hansen. Thanks for writing about your birthing experience- you have inspired me to do the same and inspired me period. Love you BFF.
ReplyDeleteYes you have to write it so I can read it! You are awesome, love ya. Tell Mary to stop being so cute
DeleteTIERA!!! I love this, so glad you wrote it all down! Isn't birth incredible?? I just think 90% of it is in our heads, 8% is the ability to move, and that last 2% is just out of your hands. I am SO happy for you guys and seriously hope that someday I'll have a home before I have a baby. (Got #3 coming, going to a Birth Center for this one.) Motherhood is incredible, isn't it?
ReplyDelete